How to shovel to avoid ice
Shoveling snow in winter
As soon as the first snow has fallen, homeowners and tenants will soon experience anger and stress. Does the snow have to be cleared at all? Are you obliged to do so? How and at what time of the day should it be evacuated? A solution to these and other questions can be found quickly in this article. To shovel snow is not a science in itself but should be done with proper preparation and equipment. To cope with the snow, you need the following equipment:
- a snow shovel - available at any hardware store
- a street broom
- A bucket for road salt or other grit
- Grit itself
This is how the snow is properly cleared away
For the sidewalk in front of the house you should clear a strip slightly wider than a meter so that the pedestrian have a comfortable and safe path and also have space for strollers. Before you really start working, however, you should first consider what to do with all the cleared snow masses. This point is particularly important if the snowfall continues for a long time and you have chosen a place that is too small. In the mountain areas or where it snows frequently and a lot, the cleared snow is parked at the edge of the sidewalk. However, one should use the Entrances and exits keep clear to the garages. As a precaution, the gullies and drains are left free of ice and snow. When the snow melts, the water can flow away without disturbance and the risk of flooding is averted.
As Vehicle owner one should think about the fact that the car should not be parked on the side of the road, because it can be easily damaged by the service vans. Depending on the nature of the snow, the snow can be cleared away in different ways. At temperatures well below zero, you can easily sweep away the new powder snow with a simple broom. The ice surfaces are chopped up with a spade and then simply swept up with a broom. If the snow surface is a little thicker, the snow shovel must be used. Are the pushed together Masses of snow on the roadside very high if they are to be transported to a previously determined collection point.
Shoveling snow - handling with useful tips
In order to survive the winter without any additional hassle, some pieces of advice might be helpful:
- Dealing with wet snow. It happens more often, especially in a sudden thaw, that the snow becomes wet and heavy and sticks to the snow shovel. A Teflon-coated shovel, for example, can provide the necessary remedy, but this is quite expensive. With one tip, you can get the same effect for a lot less money. To do this, you take the old snow shovel and rub it with one Furniture polish a. The effect is exactly the same, the costs are almost zero.
- Store snow. If you have a larger lawn area on the property or in the garden, the cleared snow can be stored there. At the thaw the water can then seep into the ground more quickly. In no case should the snow be pushed back onto the road.
- The faces that made up Cobblestones should be cleared with a broom.
- In the municipalities it is often forbidden to use salt as grit. Grit or sand can just as well be used for this and offer even better grip when walking.
- Do you have grit in winter? Sprinkle you shouldn't forget to remove it at the end of winter. If you fail to do this, you face a fine in Germany.
- Hang icicle on the roof and the thaw sets in, you are obliged to put up warning signs with the inscription “Warning roof avalanche!”. In this way, pedestrians are warned of falling pieces of ice.
The rights and obligations of owners and tenants in winter
The streets and sidewalks in winter can be in no time at all dangerous slides transform. Most owners are required to clear sidewalks and streets in winter. Basically, the duty of road safety is one of the tasks of the municipalities, but most of them have transferred these duties to the residents of the streets, i.e. homeowners. Ultimately, this means that homeowners must ensure the safety of passers-by. The regulations differ from municipality to municipality, but the basic threads are the same for all municipalities:
- The sidewalks must be kept free of ice and snow from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Every sidewalk must have a snow-free aisle of at least 1.20 meters.
- Salt or any other corrosive material is forbidden for sprinkling the paths.
- With the consent of the tenant, the landlord or the house owner can transfer the duty of road safety to him / her.
- The house owner is responsible for the broaching tool. That is why a snow shovel, a bucket with grit and a small broom should always be ready to hand in front of the front door or in the hallway.
The owner or the person entrusted with this duty comes to theirObligations not after, it can get expensive. Should someone slip on the smooth sidewalk and injure himself in the process, he can hold the owner liable if the fault can be proven. It is not uncommon for courts to decide on proof.
Each case is treated very individually by the courts. From both sides - that of the owner and the injured pedestrian - there is a, den Weather conditions adjusted, behavior expected. Nowadays every homeowner is usually insured. In the event of liability claims, if these are justified, the damage is covered by private liability insurance for single-family home owners and by home and property owner's liability insurance for apartment owners.
If a black ice accident happens on the way to school or work, the accident insurance company or the employers' liability insurance association will cover the costs. Pushing snow is not for everyone. If you want to sleep in longer as an owner or go on a skiing holiday, you have to have a winter service with the Snow removal be commissioned. The obligations and work that has to be done must then be detailed in the contract. In the event of a claim, it should be contractually regulated that liability is assumed by the service provider. It is therefore important to ensure that the winter service provider has public liability insurance when concluding a contract.
Article image: © Kinga / Shutterstock
- Has this article been helpful?
- Yes No
- Would you bully your children
- Why are concussions not taken more seriously
- What are the biggest flaws in Christianity
- How are terrorist activities financed
- Where can I buy a radar detector
- Are betel nuts illegal in the US
- Did dinosaurs migrate like birds
- Establishes a connection between the Sony A6000 and the iPhone
- Do additional data work with JioFi
- What is a localized chemical bond
- Solution for acne
- What is the height of capitalism
- How do I become more popular musically
- What is a margarita mix
- What is the Spanish word for lost
- Pay architects for their own home
- Did Imperial China speak Mandarin?
- How do I restore a deleted partition?
- Do neurotransmitters affect memory
- How do I deal with a corporate policy that has been overcome
- Give you energy from B vitamins
- How cruel can a man be
- Which websites use the Dribbble API
- What is holding back Mexico's progress?