What is the Hamlet Complex
Milestone in cancer research - this substance found in breast milk kills tumor cells
HAMLET is able to kill cancer cells
More and more people in the world are developing various forms of cancer. This makes it clear that there is an urgent need to improve the treatment and diagnosis of cancer. Researchers found that a substance found in breast milk can kill cancer cells.
A joint study by Lund University and the University of Gothenburg in Sweden found that a substance found in breast milk is able to kill cancer cells. The results of the study were published in the English-language journal "PLOS ONE".
HAMLET kills cells from bladder cancer
Although the substance known as HAMLET (Human Alpha-lactalbumin Made LEthal to Tumor cells) was discovered in breast milk a few years ago, it has only now been possible to test it in humans. Bladder cancer patients treated with the substance excreted dead cancer cells in their urine after treatment, which raised hopes that HAMLET could be expanded into drugs for the treatment of cancer in the future.
Hamlet was discovered by accident
HAMLET was originally discovered by chance when researchers were studying the antibacterial properties of breast milk. Further studies then showed that HAMLET contains a protein and a fatty acid, both of which are naturally found in breast milk. So far, however, it has not been proven that the HAMLET complex forms spontaneously in milk. Nevertheless, it is speculated that HAMLET can form in the acidic environment of the baby's stomach, the researchers report.
40 different types of cancer cells were killed
Laboratory experiments have shown that HAMLET kills cells from 40 different types of cancer, and the researchers are now studying the effects on skin cancer, tumors of the mucous membranes and brain tumors. It is important to mention that HAMLET only kills cancer cells and does not affect healthy cells.
More research is needed
The experts at the University of Gothenburg focused their research on how HAMLET can be absorbed by tumor cells. They try to understand the interactions of the substance with cell membranes. More research is needed, but it is to be hoped that at some point HAMLET can be used to make drugs that kill cancer cells in the human body. This would be a big step in combating the global risk of cancer. (as)
You can find more interesting articles on this topic here:
Author and source information
This text complies with the requirements of specialist medical literature, medical guidelines and current studies and has been checked by medical professionals.
- Ann-Kristin Mossberg, Maja Puchades, Øyvind Halskau, Anne Baumann, Ingela Lanekoff et al .: HAMLET Interacts with Lipid Membranes and Perturbs Their Structure and Integrity, in PLOS ONE (accessed: 07/19/2019), PLOS ONE
This article is for general guidance only and is not intended to be used for self-diagnosis or self-treatment. He can not substitute a visit at the doctor.
- How can everything around us be mathematical
- How do I update my Samsung Z1
- Did you make money illegally?
- Can we eat undercooked chicken?
- Psychopaths Tips for Analyzing People
- What are the benefits of Islamic fasting
- Where are the best scones in the world
- Is gas station food safe to eat
- How has ViralNova grown
- How do magnifying glasses burn ants
- PCl3 dissolves in water
- Does ELCB RCD work in this situation
- How can a person be happy on his own?
- How can I achieve my goal
- What is the name of a young goat
- Why are hot girls always so weird
- What is the derivative of 7 63
- What does Muduru Telugu mean
- Is there a bachelor's degree in astrophysics
- Who to follow and why
- According to PSK how is the procedure
- Where and how did contemporary architecture begin
- What is meant by party membership
- Have you ever accidentally consumed poison on purpose?