How do I make a delicious cheesecake
Delicious cheesecake with shortcrust pastry and soft quark cream. No wonder this classic is so popular! And with my tips you will definitely not remember it either
Do you fancy a piece of the best cheesecake in the world? This simple cheesecake with a base made of shortcrust pastry and velvety quark cream comes out completely without collapses, craters and unsightly cracks. I have perfected the recipe in many attempts. No wonder that you, our readers, have been extremely well received for many years!
Looking for that best cheesecake I did a lot of research, carried out surveys, baked a lot, rolled through baking books and of course asked Grandma. What is the best cheesecake recipe is ultimately, of course, as is often the case, a matter of taste. We like the traditional variant with buttery shortcrust pastry and creamy quark filling. We like the cheesecake simple and classic. Without much fanfare. In preparing this post, the main thing I wanted to find out was what to do about sunken cheesecake. In my opinion, the result of the tests can be seen and tasted! Voilá, my favorite classic variant - meanwhile also an absolute favorite of many readers, as you can read in the comments:
Your cheesecake always cracks while baking? Not anymore! With a few tricks you can work around the problem wonderfully. In the recipe you will find a summary of the most important steps to the best classic cheesecake with a base. Basically, the result depends on the ingredients used and the stability of the curd mass.
Tips for perfect cheesecake without cracks
While American variants such as the New York Cheesecake are traditionally baked with cream cheese that is already firmer Grandma's cheesecake with quark by itself rather softer and therefore more prone to cracking. My tips: Let the quark drain well, use oil for the cream and don't set the oven too hot.
The procedure described below is admittedly a bit more complex than simply putting the quark cake in the oven and waiting. But it's worth it. What can you not do for the best Cheesecake 😉 !
You can find this and all other recipes in our APP
The best tips
How do I keep the cheesecake from collapsing?
Don't bake the cake in one piece, but in several stages. During baking, it is loosened from the edge all around with a large knife so that the air can escape, which causes cracks and bulges and thus collapses. When the baking time is over, the cake remains in the oven. The door is ajar, for example with a wooden spoon.
How long does cheesecake have to bake?
The baking time is a rough guide. The cake can still be slightly soft in the middle, because the quark cream becomes firmer when it cools down anyway.
The cheesecake browns too quickly, what should I do?
Whatever works, cover the cake with baking paper or aluminum foil or switch the oven to bottom heat. In general, you should choose a rather low temperature.
How can you let the cheesecake cool down?
As already written, best of all in the switched off oven with the door slightly open, then at room temperature and later in the refrigerator. There the curd mass becomes creamy and firm and easy to cut.
How should you store cheesecake?
Either well covered in the refrigerator, where it can stand for a good 3 days. Or you can freeze it in pieces.
Even if you haven't dared to bake cheesecake before, I really recommend you give it a try. You will not regret it! By the way: If you like variety, be sure to take a look at our large overview of the best cheesecake recipes. There should be something for everyone in it. How about, for example, a cheese crumble cake from the tray, the bottom quark cake, these muffins, the variant with meringue topping, or healthier things like the low carb cheesecake?
Note: I published this post for the first time in 2015 and last updated it in 2021.
The best cheesecake
For the shortcrust pastry
- First, prepare the curd by letting it drain so that it becomes a little drier. To do this, line a sieve with a kitchen towel or kitchen roll, add the quark and place in the sink or over a bowl. Then prepare the shortcrust pastry.
- For the dough, put the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs and the cold butter in flakes and knead with the dough hook and finally with your hands to form a homogeneous dough. Shape into a ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for around 30 minutes.
- Grease the springform pan and dust with flour. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees top and bottom heat. Roll out the shortcrust pastry with a rolling pin. Line the bottom of the springform pan with batter and pull up one edge. To do this, either roll out the sheet of dough so that it is enough for the edge. Or shape a roll from part of the dough, place it on the shortcrust pastry base at the edge of the pan and form a high edge with your fingers. Prick the shortcrust pastry base several times with a fork.
- For the cheesecake mixture, stir the eggs with the sugar until frothy. Stir in the drained quark. Also stir in the lemon peel, vanilla pudding powder, oil and milk well so that no pieces can be seen. The mass is quite fluid.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture onto the shortcrust pastry base in the mold. Place the cake on the lowest rack in the oven. The cake needs to bake for a total of 60 to 70 minutes.
- In my experience, the following procedure has proven itself so that the cheese mass does not collapse after baking: After 25 minutes of baking time, take the cake out of the oven and remove the shortcrust crust from the springform pan with a sharp, large knife. Also, use a knife to cut lightly between the still soft cheesecake filling and the edge of the dough. Put the cake back in the oven and bake for another 25 minutes. Cut again and cover with baking paper if necessary so that it does not get too dark. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- When the cake is ready, it should be left in the switched-off oven for about 30 minutes. Open the oven door a crack, e.g. by sticking a wooden spoon in the door.
- What makes you angry while hiking
- What is the full form of IFMSA
- Why don't people stop moving to Florida
- What's your concept of hell
- Is atheism a far left ideology
- Is it Safe to Trade Forex Online?
- What does architecture do in web development
- What was the Judy Garland Show about
- What are analog converters
- Any engineer can become a useful engineer
- Magic is a swamp thing
- Makes an app difficult
- What is horticulture habitat
- Are cryptocurrencies real or fake?
- How does thunder come about
- Is Christianity basically brainwashing?
- Aditya Gupta prepares for USMLE
- What is fumigation
- How can I embarrass a bully
- What are the eco-friendly pens
- Which problem has created its own solution
- What are symptoms of overheating
- What is a good treatment for dry hair
- What's bad about logging
- Is LinkedIn useful as a marketing tool
- How important is it to leave a legacy
- How can I prove myself
- Is it Safe to Invest in China?
- Why didn't Bill Gates invest in space
- How effective is Cephalexin in treating impetigo
- What is your experience with SEOClerks?
- Sociopaths have high pain thresholds
- What can creativity and imagination do?
- What is a civil litigation notification