Is it possible to sue the president?
US MP sues Trump on the basis of "Ku Klux Klan law"
Washington. A US Democratic MP has sued ex-President Donald Trump for storming the Capitol under a law known as the Ku Klux Klan Act. The African American MP Bennie Thompson filed a lawsuit against Trump, his attorney Rudy Giuliani and the far-right groups Proud Boys and Oath Keepers on Tuesday.
Thompson accuses them of conspiring to storm the Capitol on January 6th. The aim on that day was to prevent the final confirmation of the victory of Democrat Joe Biden in the presidential election on November 3rd.
The chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee cites the so-called Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871 in his lawsuit. The law was passed to allow presidents to take action against racist groups such as the Ku Klux Klan who came after the US Civil War fought against equality for blacks. An article of the law prohibits conspiracies designed to prevent incumbents from performing their official duties.
Thompson argues that storming the Capitol should have prevented him and the other MPs from certifying the outcome of the presidential election. The MP is demanding unspecified damages, which are also intended as punitive measures against Trump, Giuliani, the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers.
Impeachment proceedings against Trump had already been initiated because of the attack on Congress that left five dead. In the impeachment process against the ex-president in the Senate, the two-thirds majority required for a guilty verdict was missed on Saturday.
The leader of the Republicans in the Senate, Mitch McConnell, voted like the vast majority of his party friends for an acquittal. Nevertheless, he subsequently blamed Trump again for the attack - and explicitly referred to the possibility of criminal and civil proceedings against the former president. AFP / nd
nd journalism from the left thrives on the commitment of its readers
In view of the experience of the corona pandemic, we have decided to make our journalism permanently freely accessible on our website and thus make it available to everyone who is interested.
As with our print and epaper editions, every published article contains our work as an author, editor, technician or publisher. It is what makes this journalism possible.
Volunteer now with just a few clicks!
- When do cats stop meowing?
- Which country has the telephone number 961
- Killing evil makes you angry
- Why is melting bad for the environment?
- How is electrical potential found
- Is Elvis Costello still boycotting Israel?
- Is elder deer resistant
- What does the following mean in logic
- There will always be forum pages
- One of the apostles was homosexual
- What is the food capital of India
- How do injection nozzles work
- How should I download FUQ videos
- What is your sweet favorite perfume
- Can I color my sneaker shoes?
- How does YouTube monetize channels
- Why don't you want central air conditioning
- How cruel can a man be
- What's the big deal with meditation
- Are Epsom salts safe for dogs
- Genius Bar are Apple Store Geniuses Geniuses
- What is vitamin B12 made of
- How can I learn Excel dashboards
- What are the qualities of a sage