How many pigs were in space
The animal talkAnimals in the space
The chimpanzee Ham was not the first monkey to fly into space in 1961, but one that survived. How many dogs or monkeys had to believe in it - who knows. After all, Clueso has now released a song in honor of the monkey Gordo.
The squirrel monkey Gordo was shot into space on December 13, 1958. During his suborbital space flight, Gordo experienced zero gravity for eight minutes. He easily put away the start and re-entry into the atmosphere. Unfortunately, when landing in the ocean, the parachute failed and the capsule and Gordo sank.
Gordo's fate is not the only sad space experiment. Several rhesus monkeys were already in space before him. The first was Albert II in 1949, whom NASA sent into space with a replica German V2 rocket. It reached an altitude of 130 kilometers - but its landing was as fateful as that of Gordo.
Ham survived the space adventure
But there were also several flights that ended well: the chimpanzee Ham flew into space on a Mercury rocket, reached an altitude of 150 miles, spent six minutes in weightlessness and was on the move for a total of 17 minutes. Ham was already wearing a tailor-made spacesuit, had its own air supply, and was strapped to a special seat.
With these test flights, the rescue systems were tested and weightlessness researched. The medical examinations on the animals should provide information about the conditions in space. In fact, Ham's flight was groundbreaking: eight years later, the first moon landing took place - with people.
Yapper for orbit
The Russian space agency, on the other hand, relied more on dogs: On November 3, 1957, Laika took off from the Russian space center in Baikonur. Laika sat in a padded mini-cabin during the flight, in which she could just stand and lie. She wore a kind of corset for protection. But that did not help her against overheating: The technology of Sputnik 2 was not fully developed.
Pig in space
In addition to monkeys and dogs, there were also pigs in space, or rather, pigs: Gentle Bess was used to test the impact rigidity of the space capsule. But: Gentle Bess did not survive long in the sitting position.
Although there are no animal astronauts left today, there are still animals in space with which experiments to research weightlessness are carried out, such as tardigrade, snails, fruit flies, geckos, fish and birds.
More animals in space:
- Most couples hold hands
- Who uses Apache Thrift in production
- What is WP content on the web
- Why did my husband start snoring
- Can a scorpion kill a human?
- Is Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac Romani
- Different religions have different metaphysical perspectives
- Can strawberries be kept in the refrigerator
- Shows Bank of America deposits outstanding
- What is Asynchronous Programming in Java
- Why is AMD Ryzen cheaper than Intel
- What is good advice for meditation
- How can the Wordpress Gutenberg editor improve
- How do you find a good psychiatrist
- How does a short circuit affect us?
- How does altitude affect climate change
- Communists celebrate July 4th
- How to improve English
- What's your concept of hell
- Freelance work is taxed
- Who are the most influential Spanish bloggers
- Target accepts 100 invoices
- How does the finale of the second season of Flash end
- How can I make my homework easier?