Can meditation improve personality attitudes
Meditation: 3 Benefits for Entrepreneurs [+ Instructions]
Do you occasionally feel exhausted, confused, or sleepless? You are not alone in this. With the advancement of technology, there is always more for us to learn:
- Edge computing
- Machine learning
We only have a limited number of hours in which we can learn. This time pressure in combination with the professional world means great efforts for employees, because: Business is stressful.
Infographic: Stress factor # 1: time pressure at work
You can find more statistics at Statista
The data speaks for itself: A report on CBS News indicated that an estimated 51 percent of Americans are dissatisfied and unmotivated at work are. Another 16 percent are so dissatisfied and angry that they do more harm than good to the office.
In addition, an article in the Harvard Gazette showed that about 36 percent of American workers experience stress at work. This is estimated to cost the American economy $ 30 billion a year lost productivity.
Physical Effects of Stress
In addition to the loss of productivity, there are also those physical impact Well documented and recorded by permanent stress:
- High blood pressure and an associated increased likelihood of strokes and heart attacks
- Increased likelihood of unhealthy behavior (Drinking alcohol, cigarettes, bad food, and even pornography use). These behaviors cost a lot of energy and are detrimental to health
- Weight gain (which has all sorts of negative side effects)
- Minor complaints like colds (people under constant stress get sick three times more often)
coping with stress
How can you better manage your stress levels for a happier, healthier life?
For this there is different approaches:
- Change of job
- More leisure activities
- Improving the quality of sleep
- Healthier diet
EXTRA: Mucking out mentally: 4 anti-stress tips
In addition to all these measures, you can also incorporate meditation into your everyday life. We have a little one for you Meditation instruction provided. This is not the only way to meditate. The instructions are only intended to help get you started:
- Looking for a quiet place or put on noise canceling headphones
- Sit up straight, shoulders back, eyes forward, feet flat on the floor, palms flat on thighs
- Slowly start closing your eyes
- Start taking a deep breath: breathe for approx. four seconds through the nose
- Breathe slowly through your mouth for approx. six seconds out
- Try this for two minutes to repeat
- As you repeat this breath, pay attention to the feeling when your palms touch your thighs. How does that feel?
- While keeping your palms flat against your thighs, try to lift and spread your fingers as far as possible. Then, gently lower your fingers to rest on your thighs. Do that two to three times. Do your fingers suddenly feel a little tired? A little too heavy?
- After a few minutes you can open your eyes again. Inhale the deepest breath you have inhaled all day. Breathe out slowly through your mouth.
This type of meditation is called Mindfulness meditation (Mindfulness) and is a mindfulness exercise.
What is Mindfulness Meditation?
Mindfulness meditation has its roots in ancient Buddhism. Many religions have adopted forms of meditation as part of their teaching philosophy. The idea is that ghost and the thoughts to center and focus on the present moment.
Basically it's about the Focus on breathing to steer. In reality, however, the application is broader and also involves focusing on the environment:
- to perceive the smell of the air
- hearing certain noises
- Pay attention to the posture (for example, the weight of the fingers)
Mindfulness as a form of meditation has also proven itself in the Silicon Valley established. Many tech executives use the method:
- Jack Dorsey from Twitter
- Larry Page from Google
- Marc Benioff from Salesforce
They also encourage the introduction of Meditate in their company. It is also widely used in other companies and organizations such as:
- General Mills
- The US Marines
- Seattle Seahawks
- Insurance company Aetna
Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation
Next to the Stress relief there are other benefits of meditation as well. Here are three reasons why you should meditate.
An article in the Harvard Business Review explains how Aetna implemented a meditation program for its employees. This is to help them:
- Take short breaks throughout the day
- Managing stress through mindfulness meditation and yoga
According to the article, Aetna has had impressive results:
"Stress levels decreased by 28 percent, sleep quality improved by 20 percent and pain decreased by 19 percent."
They were just as significant financial impact for Aetna. The company saw savings in medical costs. Employees in the top 20 percent of the stress ranking almost cost $ 2,000 less than last year. No further savings have been taken into account, such as the cost of losing stressed employees and the resulting costs.
So meditation can not only act as a great stress management tool for the employees, but also one direct,positive financial impact to have a company.
Focus is critical to Productivity and success in the company, regardless of whether you work for Google or a startup. A big challenge is staying in focus despite lots of distractions.
EXTRA: Distraction in the office: These are the 10 biggest time wasters [Infographic]
New research and scientific data also show how mindfulness meditation affects certain regions of the brain. So meditation can do that Increase your ability to concentrate.
Sara Lazar, a neuroscientist at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, published a study on meditation in Scientific American.
This shows that subjects showed changes in MRI scans after eight weeks of mindfulness training. The Amygdala, part of the limbic system, began to shrink. After that, the amygdala forms the “fight or flight center” of our brain. Due to the shrinkage of the amygdala, the prefrontal cortex of the brain are enlarged. This is responsible for:
- decision making
The result: an increased ability to concentrate and focus on tasks.
When we meditate, not only do we reduce stress and anxiety, but we also increase our focus.
3. Emotional intelligence
How do you get respected by others? These traits earn you respect:
- controlled under pressure
- empathetic to the people around you
But what do these things have in common? They require a great deal of emotional intelligence. According to Psychology Today is Emotional intelligenceor EI “The ability to identify and manage one's own emotions and the emotions of others”.
The aforementioned CBS News study found that 51 percent of Americans are dissatisfied at work. The number 1 reason for this dissatisfaction was poor management. The following applies here: The bosses are the problem.
EXTRA: Stress at work: boss is the most common trigger [study]
There are many reasons why employees are dissatisfied with their boss. For example, if he's a tyrant. One of the most common reasons is due to the Lack of EI traced back. The lack of EI is a real challenge for the introverted types of people.
Emotional intelligence is the foundation for people to be successful managers and great leaders.
First steps for beginners
It is easy to get started with mindfulness meditation. You can do it practically anywhere:
If you want to get started, short sessions are enough in between 5 to 15 minutes a day. The recommended meditation duration is included 40 minutes a day.
Here are some ideas to get you into Zen mode:
If you want to delve deeper into meditation, it is advisable to do one Meditation book to read. We recommend the My Balance bestseller “Learning Meditation for Beginners”. However, it doesn't matter which book you read, as long as it helps you incorporate meditation practices into your everyday life.
Our book tip on the topic: Learning meditation for beginners
How to find inner peace through meditation
Hardback edition: 60 pages
Released on: September 06, 2018
Price: 7,99 €
Watch it now on Amazon
2. Mobile apps
There are tons of great apps to get started and take your personal meditation trainer with you wherever you go. This includes apps like:
Most apps have one limited trial versionwhich is later converted into a paid monthly subscription as standard. You can choose different types of meditation with different durations and follow the instructions in the app.
The video giant has a huge selection of videos on meditation and mindfulness. You can do this regardless of time and place listen and switch off.
Meditation offers obvious advantages. So why not give it a try and live a happier, more productive life?
Patrick 'Mad' Mork owns this position in English and published it on December 9, 2017 on www.medium.com. We have translated it for you so that we can exchange ideas with our readers on relevant topics.
Our free ePaper: Agile leadershipOur ePaper with the best tips on all aspects of employee management: → over 55,000 subscribers → a new issue every quarter → as a PDF conveniently in your mailbox Simply register and be up-to-date from now on! Download the free ePaper
- France and Spain have corruption problems
- What is the secret of learning organic chemistry
- Breathe in alien oxygen
- What is a carabiner
- Which products are good for 3c hair
- Is it possible for a life without air
- What are some unique shows and movies
- How can I remove paint from clothing
- What are some great European guided tours
- How would the unrest in HK end?
- Let universities become companies
- How good is theory in practice
- Can an organization function without bosses?
- What are some creativity enhancement games
- YouTube or Vimeo Why
- Hard work is better than talent
- Does the depletion of resources have an economic impact?
- When will human animal hybrids be accepted?
- Who is the nicest ultra wealthy person
- Am I a sociopath or something else
- Why are unpaved roads sustainable?
- How much do lead generation companies charge
- What are some cons of typing
- What are the preset auxiliary verbs
- Why does God not punish wrong people
- What are some good jokes about income inequality
- Can I search privately on Instagram
- What is NFPA
- What are the benefits of eating asparagus
- Are mirror neurons the explanation for consciousness
- Is the Antarctic a cold desert
- Why are trains honking
- Batman is viewed as an antihero
- What is live traffic