What do Christian mystics believe
What is Christian Mysticism?
Concept, meaning and origin
Many mystics of church history have left written works that have made them spiritual writers.
The word "mysticism" comes from the Greek μυστικός (mystikós) and can be translated as "mysterious". It denotes reports and statements about the experience of a divine or absolute reality as well as efforts to achieve such an experience. Mystical currents occur in practically all world religions, including Christianity.
- Mysticism is understood as a gracious experience of God and his work in the soul, which cannot be brought about by one's own effort, but only by God himself
- Mysticism describes the union with God in the ground of the ego
- Mysticism as a practice that aims at becoming one (unio mystica) with God, which should already be experienced in the local life
- experience the awareness of God's immediate presence
- the "transformation into God" is seen as the goal of the mystical path.
Origin - Christian mysticism
Christian mysticism has its origin in the experiences of God by the mystics of the church. The great mystics of the Church include:
- Augustine of Hippo
- (Pseudo-) Dionysius Areopagita
- Bernhard of Clairvaux
- Hildegard von Bingen
- Francis of Assisi
- Johannes Bonaventure
- Thomas Aquinas
- Gertrud von Helfta
- Mechthild of Magdeburg
- Mechtild from Hackeborn
- Master Eckart
- Heinrich Seuse
- Johannes Tauler
- Birgitta of Sweden
- Catherine of Siena
- Niklaus von Flüe
- Catherine of Genoa
- Ignatius of Loyola
- Theresa of Avila
- John of the Cross
- Francis de Sales
- Anna Katharina Emmerick
- Therese von Lisieux
- Edith Stein
and much more.
You can find a large number of suitable books on mysticism in the Vivat! Shop.
- Which engineering is best to get married
- Why is Bashar Al Assad so ruthless
- Should I get an SBI online savings account?
- What are some characteristics of communication skills
- Why does Hermione always criticize Ron
- What is a backward caste
- A girl likes me what to do
- Can you decipher the word Ogole?
- How do I use a GMT watch
- What do ESFPs respect
- How common was the duel in the 19th century
- How do you stay positive with MS
- What is a humane society
- What is the function of the diffraction grating
- How is Facebook a threat to privacy
- Is argon gas dangerous
- How well can Vladimir Putin play hockey
- Azharuddin was a match fixer
- What are the 3 periods of English
- Why are politicians interested in hunger strikes?
- What are the benefits of belly dancing
- How can a catalyst trigger a reaction?
- What is your business on the internet
- Who is Anwar Sadat