Can a snakebite kill an elephant?
Beheaded snakes can also be fatal
A Texan was gardening on his property when he spotted a four-foot-long rattlesnake. He beheaded her with a shovel - but when he later wanted to dispose of the animal, the severed head bit him.
According to media reports, a relatively large amount of the snake venom got into his body. The man became seriously ill and had to be flown to a hospital by helicopter, where he was given several doses of an antidote. A week after the bite, his condition was stable again. The snake is said to have been a Texas rattlesnake.
The incident is probably not as rare as one might think. As with many other reptiles, a snake's reflexes function for hours after it dies. The bite reflex is particularly pronounced in poisonous snakes: Their hunting tactic is to bite extremely quickly and then withdraw and wait for the poison to take effect. The Texan experienced first hand that this can happen hours after the animal's death.
A snake's body often writhes around for some time after it dies, explains Bruce Jayne, a biology professor at the University of Cincinnati. The reflex behind it works in a similar way to headless chickens that can still run around for a short time, he says. The nervous system of some animals is simply programmed to perform certain movements without a signal from the brain.
- Who makes an effective marketing campaign
- What are some cool village names
- Where can I find manufacturers of camping tents
- Why are minerals not renewable
- Who is the CEO of NBA
- Why is humanity self-oriented
- How websites prevent ad blockers
- Change of registration number
- What are some examples of gender stratification
- What can you do with 24 cats
- Want to be Galicians in Portugal
- Which is better EC2 or GoDaddy Why
- What can we do for women
- What is the function of IRCTC
- Why are computer viruses application software
- Why did Talleyrand betray Napoleon
- Why are objectivists against communism
- What should I do to forget someone
- Why is circumcision considered child abuse
- What do business and finance do?
- How did Benjamin Franklin die
- Ionize acids in organic solvents
- Why networking is necessary in FEM
- Is ethernet more secure than WiFi