Live longer non-drinkers
A healthy glass of alcohol? A myth!
After counting out doubtful cases from the group of abstainers, Tim Stockwell and his colleagues from the University of Victoria in British Columbia found: The statement that moderate alcohol consumption is beneficial for health does not stand up to the test! Those who regularly drink a little alcohol do not live any shorter than non-drinkers - but no longer either!
That's what the studies said
A European long-term study by the German Institute for Nutritional Research with more than 380,000 participants only concluded in 2014 with the following result:
Have a reduced risk of dying from cardiovascular disease
- Women who drink no more than one glass of alcohol a day,
- Men who drink no more than two glasses of alcohol a day.
This should apply not only to those who drink a lot, but also to those who drink little or who do not drink. The more than 80 studies that Tim Stockwell and his colleagues followed up with came to similar results.
Who drinks how much alcohol?
Young people drink alcohol less than older people - but when they reach for alcoholic beverages, they drink more. This is shown by the current TK study "Drink Was (ser), Germany!". Across all age groups, alcohol was consumed on average 2.7 days a week. For 18 to 29 year olds it was 1.9 days. On "alcohol days" the respondents of all age groups drank an average of 2.5 glasses, those 18 to 29 year olds 3.2 glasses.
Sick people in the comparison group
According to the results of Tim Stockwell and colleagues, which have now been published in the "Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs", the studies are scientifically unsustainable. The main mistake that the Canadian researchers noticed, among other inconsistencies: The group of moderate drinkers was compared to a group of nondrinkers, often without questioning why the abstainers did not drink alcohol during the study period.
This put many sick people in the comparison group - those who took medication or even alcohol addicts. Tim Stockwell and his team found out that this group did not do any better in terms of health than that of the moderate drinkers.
There was no distinction between types of alcohol
However, the studies examined did not differentiate which alcohol was consumed. If you like to enjoy a glass of red wine with your meal, you can stick to your reason for the cozy glass. The polyphenols that are increasingly present in red wine are among the cell-protecting antioxidants. These can neutralize free radicals that damage the body's cells.
Anti-aging substance not only in red wine
"But that does not mean that the polyphenols in red wine justify a glass of red wine a day, since the transition to addiction is fluid," says TK nutrition expert Sabine Wagner-Rauh. She refers to other sources of the valuable secondary plant substances: "Many red fruits and vegetables also contain polyphenols, the effects of which range from anti-inflammatory to cancer-preventing - without alcohol being involved."
For example, over 70 plant species contain resveratrol, which is widely praised as an anti-aging substance. Therefore, TK nutrition expert Wagner-Rauh recommends: "Even if resveratrol is mainly found in red wine in larger quantities, red grape juice and various other plant-based foods such as raspberries or plums are also good sources of resveratrol."
- How are CPU caches structured
- Which country has the country code 92?
- Where is carbon dioxide produced during breathing?
- What is a cheap internet
- Magnetism affects human cells
- How does the development of the infrastructure affect economic growth?
- What is a game path
- What is the derivative of 7 63
- Where to Find a Day Trading Mentor
- What made you a better lover
- Is your country threatened by another nation?
- How can ATMs be protected from fraudsters
- Which rock consists of a single mineral
- How do I stop being distracted
- Mike Patton is popular in Italy
- Nail arts are dangerous
- Siddha doctors shine in Thoothukudi
- How many Nigerians use WhatsApp
- Have you found someone you deserve?
- How can private member functions be accessed
- Why does a dog run in circles?
- What are the threats from artificial superintelligence
- Which layer of skin is peeled off by microdermabrasion
- What are Rastafarian Beliefs