Are there any evolutionary advantages to homosexuality?
Theories on the Origin of Homosexuality
For some lesbians and gays or for those around them, the question of why they are homosexual is important.
But why do you want to explain sexual orientation? Often behind this is the desire not to explain homosexuality, but rather to justify or even want to change it. Accepting human diversity and understanding differences as an enrichment is more important than looking for the cause.
There are many different theories about the emergence of sexual orientations that cannot be scientifically proven, but help to perpetuate prejudice.
Some theories believe in genetic causes, that is, in the existence of a "gay / lesbian gene". Today the human genome has long been deciphered: there is no gene for sexual orientation.
The thesis that the mother's hormonal balance during pregnancy is the cause of the child's development of sexual orientation has now also been refuted.
Other theories see social factors as the cause of homosexual development, such as certain parenting styles, a dominant mother, an absent father or the position in the sibling order. Statistically speaking, homosexual people have the same experiences in childhood as heterosexual people: Certain parenting styles, divorce or death of parents and other decisive experiences are no more common in the childhood of homosexual people than in the childhood of heterosexual people. It follows that parenting, divorce, the death of a parent, or other childhood occurrences have no bearing on whether someone becomes straight or homosexual.
The so-called "seduction theory" is particularly persistent. It is based on the assumption that a heterosexual adolescent is seduced into sexual contact by an older person, although the adolescent does not want this, and then becomes homosexual as a result of this one-off sexual contact. This theory has long been scientifically refuted. Most homosexuals know inside out that they feel like they are the same sex many years before their first sexual experience. They also have their sexual experiences with partners of the same age. Before coming out, many homosexual people also had relationships with the opposite sex without having been 'seduced' into heterosexuality.
City of Vienna | Vienna anti-discrimination agency for same-sex and transgender lifestyles
- Reconsider the real cause behind fear
- Are the ancient Egyptians extinct?
- Which are some good resorts near Bangalore
- Everything in my life ended
- What is an app clone
- Is China's rise good for Korea?
- How many types of rRNA
- Will iPads get bigger in the future
- Can modern French do without diacritics
- How can I get nitric acid
- Can we update ROWID in Oracle
- What got you into skateboarding?
- How fast do earthworms multiply
- What is Saweetie's most successful song
- Can rubber be replaced by stickiness
- What is the difference between a weed and a flower?
- What are the benefits of abdominal breathing
- What is the structure of carbene
- Has finished Diane Abbott's career as a front bench
- Why do people attack extraterrestrials
- Radio frequency can cause cancer
- What are you interested in about Azerbaijan?
- Communion is compulsory in the Maronite Catholic service
- How can I fail a protractor test?